Information on professional wills:
- The sample professional will from the workshop, which I adapted from the Psychological Association of Manitoba. I changed a few things, though it is overwhelmingly the same. They also have some supplemental documents about wills that you may find helpful, though with the caveat that this is for general information / guidelines, as it is from a Canadian source. (NOT LEGAL ADVICE, though my lawyer looked over it and didn’t see any problems with the template I used for what it’s worth.)
- Files, Passwords, and Contacts List that you got a copy of at the workshop
- Sample professional will from the APA, along with supplemental information Instructions and Considerations in Creating a Professional Will
- Sample professional will form that can be modified.
Information on HIPAA
- Information on HIPAA, Minnesota’s Health Records Act, and Psychotherapy Notes
- Information from the Department of Health and Human Services on Business Associate Agreements
- A free HIPAA privacy notice form for clients that can add your practice info to from the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Scroll down to "NPP Provider Files" to get the editable versions
- HIPAA Collaborative of Wisconson (HIPAA Cow), which has a risk toolkit, sample documents, etc. This website is geared towards organizations bigger than a solo practice, so you'll need to sift through to see what's helpful for you.
- Legal Corps, which offers FREE legal consultation for small business at the Minneapolis Libraries
Roy Huggin's website, Person Centered Tech, with information on HIPAA, technology, and small practices.
- To sign up for Roy's e-newsletter, and to have access to his FREE sample policies and procedures.
- Roy mentioned Office Hours at the end of his presentation. This is a very affordable (about $10/month) way you can consult with a real person about all of your very specific questions that are beyond the scope of a large workshop. (i.e. I just bought a new laptop and I'm not sure what software I should be using for xyz task that meets HIPAA requirements. What would you recommend? OR Is it okay for me to send email with xyz vendor, I did abc and xyz, so it's safe, right?)
- Roy's article on Email and HIPAA Compliant Practice: Is It Possible?
- Roy's article on Clients Have The Right To Receive Unencrypted Emails Under HIPAA
- Lots more articles on Communicating with Clients
- Online password managers that you may want to check out include 1Password and LastPass
- Danielle Allen's website and her blog. You can sign up on her website to get a free website jumpstart guide.
Billing and Insurance
- Melanie Pieper's website if you have questions you want to shoot her way regarding insurance and billing. Her Outpatient Mental Health billing codes
- Annie Schwain's website, Voda Counseling, specializing in addictions and Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- Heidi Waldoch's website, Bridging Hope Counseling, offering individual, couple, and group therapy and specializing in Sand Tray, Play Therapy and DBT Groups
Whew! That's a lot of information, and yet I'm sure I overlooked something. If so, please let me know and I'll update the list.