You may be wondering, does counseling work?
If you are a couple, there are two factors that strongly influence how successful therapy will be.
First, you need to want couples counseling to work and be willing to work at it.
Second, you need to be working with a skilled counselor whom you like, respect, and trust. Many people say that they work with couples, but have little, if any, training or education in working with couples. The skills and techniques that are helpful in working with couples are different than those that are used in working with individuals.
There are a number of potential benefits are available to participating in counseling and working on your relationship. Many people find that it can be difficult to bring up some topics with their partner, as they are not sure how they will respond or react. Counseling can provide a safe space and support to bring up fears, concerns, or difficult topics that may otherwise go unsaid.
How can therapy help me?Some of the benefits of counseling are:
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in your relationship or marriage
- Changing old behavior patterns and developing new ones
- Improving communications and listening skills
- Developing skills for resolving conflict to improve your relationships
- Increasing intimacy and a sense of connection with others
- Learning new ways to cope with stress and anxiety
- Improving your self-esteem and boosting self-confidence
- Managing anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values
- Getting a fresh perspective on difficult problems
- Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek therapy